Before my eyes:
       "Machinal" by Sophie Treadwell
       "Tales of the City" by Armistead Maupin


       In my ears:
       "Million Miles from Home" - Keziah Jones
       "Eye to the Telescope" - KT Tunstall

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Turpitude... Motivation... the passing of Richard Pryor

Turpitude

Sometimes, we do bad things. It happens. We know it's not good, but we do it anyway, and sometimes there's just no alternative. What's my bad thing? Well. it's bad enough that Moses brought back one of the commandments not to do it.

So they say, "don't break up a happy home", and I decided to behave and leave the married woman alone. Then comes another, and she's engaged, and I just can't help myself. I hawk and move, flirt and test the limits of her devotion. Is all fair in these matters? What has fair got to do with it anyway? I look at the flipside, and see that it would be awful to be on the receiving end.

Motivation

My motivation appears low at the moment. I have an interview this Friday, and another next Wednesday, and this should mean that I'm in fully-focused, go-getter mode. But no, in fact I'm feeling quite... not indifferent as such, but ambivalent. Yes, there are still opportunities out there that I can try going after, but right now I just want to curl up and sleep for a week.

I think it's because of the anticipation of xmas, the wind-down. I hate being on an out-of-town project at this time of year, because at least when you're in the capital you can slip out and wander the xmas market, or watch people consuming in the high street.

the passing of Richard Pryor

I don't feel bad for celebrities when they die, most of the time. Let me re-phrase that - I don't feel especially concerned when they do pass away, not that it matters whether they are famous or not. But I felt bad when I heard that Richard Pryor had died. Not just because he had a shitty end to life, but because, selfishly (as it always is with entertainers), I thought that maybe he'd come back. Miracles - who can say whether they happen or not? Certainly not Richard. I have recordings of his great stand-up performances, and they always touched me and cracked me up. I loved wearing my Pryor tee-shirt. It made me feel expansive and true to the anger that bubbled persistently within...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google