Before my eyes:
       "Machinal" by Sophie Treadwell
       "Tales of the City" by Armistead Maupin


       In my ears:
       "Million Miles from Home" - Keziah Jones
       "Eye to the Telescope" - KT Tunstall

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Mid-Week Miscellany

So, I got busted for speeding yesterday.

I was driving back to London in my A3, pulled out into the fast lane, saw an open stretch of motorway gaping into the distance and put my foot down. The car surged forward, and I got that wash of satisfaction that only speed can deliver. I was just checking my rear-view to slip back into the middle lane, when I saw the flashing lights behind me. The cops tailed me for a few yards until I stopped on the hard shoulder, walked me to the back of their unmarked sedan, made me watch a video of my offence, then slapped me with a £60 on-the-spot fine. My first prosecution! Not my first run-in with the law (a few youthful misdemeanours).

So, tomorrow I must turn in my licence at the local police station for it to be endorsed, with three big black points on it for the next four years. It was going to happen - just a bummer it had to happen this week!

>>>>

I have an interview at Amazon, on Friday. The job is managing their books product line for the french site. It's the first product of my registration with a recruitment network, in my attempt to move on from the consulting world.

Whilst I am quite attracted by the idea of looking after something to do with books, and in French no less (I studied French Lit as one half of my undergrad), the prospect of conversing in French at interview chills me somewhat. It has been a good few years since I had to string more than a few paltry sentences together, .

Having managed to hustle the next couple of days off of work, I am plotting my strategy and style . So, here I am, sipping a concoction of Absolut Mandarin, ice and cranberry-orange juice, thinking about what the fuck I am going to say about myself in this interview... Apart from the fact that I love books (duh!) and I'm a fairly capable manager... If I'm honest, I don't think I am going to get the job, because I just don't have enough commercial experience. But we'll see!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google