Before my eyes:
       "Machinal" by Sophie Treadwell
       "Tales of the City" by Armistead Maupin


       In my ears:
       "Million Miles from Home" - Keziah Jones
       "Eye to the Telescope" - KT Tunstall

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Shapes fall together...

After a good few days of moping about, I woke up this morning, looked in the mirror and told myself to sort it out. "Get yourself together, shithead! What the fuck are you dicking around for? Stop being an idiot, get back in the game!"

I bounded into work, ran a delivery errand, took coffee with AC and then drew some blank sheets of paper in front of me. In a spurt of focus, I proceeded to sketch out a strategic framework for the Institute's public consultation approach, comprising a formalised, 2-wave, stratified core and a more flexible, "ad-hoc" campaign component. I then defined the criteria models, scale validation methods and driver menus - this may seem like jargonistic bollocks, but believe you me people, it's real. It's not the finished article, by any means, but I was stunned at how things came together in one afternoon of complete focus! It was a good day, a good afternoon. When work "happens" - when you execute creativity with fluency - it's the most invigorating feeling in the world. The simultaneous sense of total control and total freedom, married in a moment of consummate productivity... it's incredible. There are moments, I must admit, when I hate the idea of "work" and the Master-Slave dialectic it perpetrates on my submissive psyche. But moments like today, when it feels easy, natural, pure extension, it's awesome.

In a fit of attempted spontaneity, I've enrolled on an introductory course in sculpture. I had been agonising about not signing up in time to do a creative writing course (always oversubscribed!), but when thinking of an alternative I decided to go for something perpendicular. This is going to be an interesting exercise, mostly because I haven't an artistic bone in my body. I can't draw or paint, or do origami. Paradoxically, I love design. Functional design, that is. Constructing things, configuring, arranging them to make them something that works. Can't beat it with a stick! I can't wait. I'm itching to find new ways to articulate and express the experience of living - a new medium.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google