Before my eyes:
       "Machinal" by Sophie Treadwell
       "Tales of the City" by Armistead Maupin


       In my ears:
       "Million Miles from Home" - Keziah Jones
       "Eye to the Telescope" - KT Tunstall

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Impulse vs. calculation - does it apply to matters of desire?

I'm thinking about taking a risk - and this time, it's in my personal life, not my work life. My friend Linz is always saying to me, that I'm not impulsive enough, and that I strategise too much - and that I need to let myself be swept along by impulses sometimes.

It's a paradox in life - risk and impulse. I hate making mistakes - but I like learning from them, as long as it's not too hard a lesson. You see it in those nature programmes, where the rodent knows it's surrounded by circling raptors or serpents. It edges to an exit, shows indecision and confusion, inevitably makes the wrong move and the next thing you know... it's toast. I see that as being scaled up into human terms, where our reason does not prevent us from acting with similar indecision - conflict in the soul, reflected in action... get beaten by it.

At the moment, there's an impulsion in me - I want to do something, I'm tempted - but as usual I'm treating it with suspicion and trying to calculate. There are things that you do, and people say "you're fucking mad" for what it is you plan to do. I'm saying to myself - "you're fucking mad" - but the impulse remains, perhaps because it is rooted in the animal part of me.

So, anyway, I'm weighing it up. If I choose to do it, maybe I'll share what it is...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i, for one, say 'go for it!' people always say that its not the things you do in life that you end up regretting, its the things you dont do. using that logic, it seems rational to, on occasion, act impulsively!

good luck, let us know how it goes!

abby

5:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google