Before my eyes:
       "Machinal" by Sophie Treadwell
       "Tales of the City" by Armistead Maupin


       In my ears:
       "Million Miles from Home" - Keziah Jones
       "Eye to the Telescope" - KT Tunstall

Thursday, October 21, 2004

The price of cutting cheese

I've just spent half an hour buying a wedding gift from one of those online catalogues. Went onto the website and was stunned at some of the stuff department stores are flogging these days.

A high-tech cheese knife costing £25? For a fucking cheese knife! How much "high technology" could there be involved? Enough to merit £25?!

I checked out the picture of this curd-cutting weapon - OK, admittedly, it's a cool-looking piece of kitchenware and, were I to have my unrestricted choice of instruments dedicated to the dismantling of firm cheeses, this would probably be top of the pile. But it does seem a little pointless - excellence in cheese knives, that is. The experience of hacking off a chunk lasts seconds in a single digit, and is not that taxing - hell, if it's good crumbly cheese you can break a bit off with your fingers...

I guess there are some out there who would take umbrance at my carping - a wedding gift shouldn't be something you have too much issue spending on, especially if you've been mates with the groom through some difficult times. I'd just say, I'm not challenging the righteousness of the spend - just the true value of the object being spent on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google