Before my eyes:
       "Machinal" by Sophie Treadwell
       "Tales of the City" by Armistead Maupin


       In my ears:
       "Million Miles from Home" - Keziah Jones
       "Eye to the Telescope" - KT Tunstall

Friday, September 10, 2004

Why The First Story?

...because, back in the 1990's, in my room, reading, beset with the incomparable stress of A-levels, I remember a line that I meant to use in an essay at some spectacular expository moment. The line that said, everyone's first story is, inescapably, and however reluctantly, the story of themself. I once tried to write beyond the first story, but was forever paralysed.

...and also, because I never really ever say enough, and I always mean to, so often, but there never seems the time and never the occasion, where it would not seem anything more than a triviality. Which, in the majority, I suppose it is.

However, when viewed appropriately, in moments of twilight or in dawnlight, the first story is the pinnacle of all fictions; gilt-edged with promise, flecked with tantalising theories of truth, and cupped in the possibility of a new recognition of yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google